Nowadays, GPS is a helpful device to do simple navigation or mapping. But, sometimes user is not careful enough when they use it so their… Selengkapnya »[Tips] How to take care of your GPS device
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) with OpenStreetMap-ID got a chance to assist the 1st OpenStreetMap Training of Trainers (OSM ToT) in the Philippines organized by OSM… Selengkapnya »The 1st OSM Training of Trainers in the Philippines
The peak of rain season has arrived, and as usual, Jakarta always got flooded around December until February each year. Information about where flood happen is very important, public need open access to know and understand where the affected areas are. But, of course textual information is not enough. That is why DKI Jakarta Provincial Disaster Agency (Badan Penanggulangan Bencana Daerah (BPBD) Provinsi DKI Jakarta) with assistance from Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT), funded by Australia-Indonesia Facility for Disaster Reduction (AIFDR-DFAT Australian Aid ) is creating Jakarta flood map this year.
Everyone needs to know that all maps that have been published to the public are NOT produced with commercial or paid software. We are using free and open source software, QGIS 2.0 which is available in qgis.org for Windows, OSX, and Linux. We are putting this free software under stress to create good maps with fast and efficiently.
During the producing process, there are 3 phases:
- Data collection, data processing, and entry data
- Symbology setting
On Beginning OpenStreetMap manual, you have understand what is GPS device and how can GPS work as a tool for data collection. Some of GPS device have capability to showing maps, for example Garmin 60Csx, Garmin etrex vista, and also the recent one like Garmin GPSmap 62s, Garmin etrex 20/30. Beside the standard map that might be included on your device, you also can display OSM map on your garmin GPS device. This will be an advantages for those who wants to do groundtrouth validation, more mapping, or navigating with your GPS device.
This guide will show you step-by-step how to download OSM map on Garmin map format for your Garmin GPS device.
A. Download Garmin Map Format
1. Openhttp://garmin.openstreetmap.nl on your internet browser and wait until you can see a web page like this image below:
- Choose your map type: choose Generic Routable
- Include a TYP file (Optional): choose Mapnik
- Choose predefined country: choose country you want to download
- Perhaps you’d like to add some additional tiles?
By default, if you choose a country, the grid on the map display will block all box based on your country selection. If you don’t want to download the whole country, or if you want to download a specific area, you can check Enable manual tile selection. Click Reset Selection to re-select your area.
- Request your map or download it directly:
Put your email address on this column. Please enter valid email address because you will receive link to download the map. Then, click Build my map and you will see this page
3. Now, go to your e-mail inbox, and look for an email like this:
4. If your map is ready, then, you will receive 2nd email like this:
5. There are several formats that you can choose to download. If you have Garmin software such as Garmin MapSource or Garmin BaseCamp, you can download osm_generic_windows.exe if you’re using Windows.
For general use, download osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip
B. Putting gmapsupp.img to your Garmin Device
1. Check that your Garmin is on Garmin Serial/Mass Storage Mode
2. Connect your device to your computer using the USB cable. Go to your microSD directory (for example H:/Garmin )
3. You will find a gmapsupp.img file. That is your base map file. You may want to create a back-up by moving it somewhere on your hard drive. Or if you don’t want to, you can replace this file with the new one that you have downloaded.
4. Extract osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip and copy the file to your microSD card (example H:/Garmin)
5. Unplug your GPS device and turn on your GPS device, you will see that your standard map is replaced with OSM map!
Sebelumnya kami ucapkan terima kasih sebanyak-banyaknya bagi kalian yang telah mengirimkan CV dan lamarannya. Kami telah menerima kurang lebih 50 CV beserta lamaran dan memilih… Selengkapnya »Pengumuman Trainer OpenStreetMap Baru!
Who does not need a map? Many people today need a good map from academia, government, mountaineer, to ordinary people who simply want to find their… Selengkapnya »The Power of Community Mapping and Open Spatial Data